Monday 11 April 2011

Testing Paint Schemes

I've decided to go back and re-paint all of my old genestealer models so that the look a lot better than the bright pink and blue creatures I painted about 10 years ago.

My favourite colour scheme has always been the traditional blue, purple and bone as it is distinctive, yet effective

Also, unlike when I was thirteen, I have more income at my disposal, so I can afford to buy the appropriate paints rather than making do with what I had at hand (hence the bright blue and pink combination).

So to begin with, I googled around for paint schemes and the first result was on the Games Workshop site regarding the recent Space Hulk re-release (a set which I own but want to be sure I've got my technique down before making a start on).

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=2&aId=400007a&start=3&multiPageMode=true

I'm not too big a fan of mixing paints however as you need to get the right colour each time which can be quite time consuming (also in some cases I didn't notice that big a difference) so I simplified some steps, mainly the mixing of the purples.

The original genestealers were reasonably quick and easy to paint (I'll upload the result once I get home) and I made a quick and easy Space Hulk base from wire mesh and garden wire that was simple, but effective.

The jury's still out on the end result though. I'm not sure if I need to perfect the highlighting or add a gloss varnish to the model to bring it all together. I've made a start on one of the classic, plastic hybrids, using the same scheme, and will judge my method based on the final results.




No comments:

Post a Comment